Introduce Yourself!

I’d like to learn a bit more about the people here! Hopefully this is a good way

Go ahead and introduce yourself! Some possible ice breakers:

• What sports and games do you follow?
  • What are you looking to learn or make?
  • Do you have a blog or twitter with previous work?
  • What are you looking to get out of this site?

And remember, you can do the following:

Hello everyone I’m Mike Pfeil (I’m trying to actually say that now rather than Mike Fail)

What sports and games do you follow? Hockey and now shooty hoops.

What are you looking to learn or make? Still teaching myself to learn R and I’m working on some personal project work this season on the Calgary Flames’ special teams (plus contributing to Hockey Graphs)

Do you have a blog or twitter with previous work? @mikeFAIL, all my good work exists on Flamesnation.ca, and the site I’m working on for the special teams project isn’t done yet.

What are you looking to get out of this site? Learning from others in the community, sharing ideas, and having discussions longer than 140 characters at the time. I really think Danny nailed this perfectly. In order for the community to grow and ideas to spread we need to use more than just Twitter.

Hey everyone, I’m Josh Taylor

What sports and games do you follow? Football mainly, but enjoy watching all sorts

What are you looking to learn or make? Also trying to learn R as well as re-learning Python, I’m currently trying to make an Expected Goals model in Excel, which isn’t the most efficient method. Hopefully will be getting some results in a couple of weeks time.

Do you have a blog or twitter with previous work? @WeeklyKickabout is my twitter and weeklykickabout.com are where most of my stuff is, what little there is of it anyway!

What are you looking to get out of this site? Learning from some others who have more experience than I do, especially when it comes to automating analysis.

Hey. I’m Alan.

What sports and games do you follow? Hockey is the sport I follow closest but I watch lots of stuff. Lately, I’ve been dabbling in volleyball analytics, which I think is a really interesting sport for modeling despite the data challenges.

What are you looking to learn or make? I don’t have any particularly good hockey ideas right now and I’m very distracted by trying to come up with a player evaluation metric for volleyball that encompasses both offensive and defensive impact with some degree of effectiveness.

Do you have a blog or twitter with previous work? I write mainly at Raw Charge (Tampa Bay Lightning hockey blog) and occasionally at Hockey Graphs when I have a bigger idea worth publishing. I’m on Twitter @loserpoints.

What are you looking to get out of this site? I think we really need a place to discuss things more in depth and get more meaningful feedback than we can on Twitter. I think this will be a great spot for that.

Hey everyone. I’m Ryan.

What sports and games do you follow? Mostly hockey, football, and soccer.

What are you looking to learn or make? A little bit more knowledge of R would be great. Right this minute I’m failing at deciding what to submit for #RITHAC as an abstract. Recently, I put out a long-form piece on how to apply analytics to a hockey club from top to bottom. I’ve been revising that and hope to release it as a book before the season starts. I’m also assisting with coaching a 14U local hockey club as the head coach read some of my work and wants to apply it. So, I get to know how smart/dumb my ideas area!

Do you have a blog or twitter with previous work? Most of my stuff is at HockeyGraphs and I occasionally tweet.

What are you looking to get out of this site? Much more improved discussion than on Twitter. Also to learn from people.

Hi everybody, I’m Brad.

What sports and games do you follow? Pretty much just hockey.

What are you looking to learn or make? #1 on my list of stuff to learn is machine learning. Started to sink my teeth into it over the summer, but free time has a tendency to disappear. Always interested in new ways to present data as well.

Do you have a blog or twitter with previous work? I blog at Silver Seven Sens with increasing rarity, and run Natural Stat Trick. I tweet mostly about the Ottawa Senators at @Sammich_BLT and more NHL-wide at @NatStatTrick.

What are you looking to get out of this site? What everybody else has been saying, basically. Discussions that are less bite-sized and more longer form.

Hi y’all, I’m Carolyn!

What sports and games do you follow? I follow hockey closely, especially on the analytics side of thing, and I follow EPL as just a fan. An obnoxious fan.

What are you looking to learn or make? Honestly, I’m super busy with real life right now so at the moment I’m just enjoying reading smart people talk about sports. But my wheelhouse really is evaluating decision-making (Front Offices) more so than building models or breaking down tactics/systems, so I’m always on the lookout for more work about that.

Do you have a blog or twitter with previous work? I tweet (too much) @Classlicity, I write for FanRag Sports (I used to be their hockey editor), and I blog with the good people of Hockey-Graphs.

What are you looking to get out of this site? Just another place to waste time when I should be working :slight_smile: Kidding! Looking forward to reading more about sports I’m less familiar with, especially soccer.

Hello folks, I’m Bruno!

What sports and games do you follow? Soccer only, but starting to follow basketball is in the plans.
What are you looking to learn or make? I’m a Master’s student, and my dissertation is about soccer analytics. More specifically, applying Deep Learning to tracking data in order to find… something I haven’t decided yet - suggestions welcome!
Do you have a blog or twitter with previous work? So far the only thing I got to show is a bunch of rambling on Twitter (@DataMarques), because results are nonexistent - still.
What are you looking to get out of this site? Find like-minded people building cool stuff, and learn with them.

Hi! I’m Yatin and I’m studying computer science and business at UWaterloo and Wilfrid Laurier University. Just going into my second year.

What sports and games do you follow?
Soccer, Manchester United fan. Also really enjoy Cricket, looking to get into Basketball.

What are you looking to learn or make?
Looking to learn the process in how analytics departments break down plays and extract conclusions from them.

Do you have a blog or twitter with previous work?
http://findfooty.ca -> something I used to work on in highschool.
https://twitter.com/yatin_kapur -> rt a lot of soccer memes

What are you looking to get out of this site?
I want to get more active in this community! Looking to learn from others and attend meetups/hackathons which are themed around sports analytics.

Hey guys, I´m Per! Soon to be 29 y.o living in Stockholm.

What sports and games do you follow? Soccer is my main sport but I also follow the Swedish ice hockey. I run an analytics consultancy here in Sweden and we´ve working mostly with ice hockey but this summer we´ve also done some recruitment consulting in soccer.

What are you looking to learn or make? I´m always looking to improve all parts of my work. I´m not always very creative as far as coming up with new stuff goes, so it´d be nice if I could get some inspiration to try some new things that might help develop my statistical knowledge and programming skills.

Do you have a blog or twitter with previous work? My blog can be found at http://fotbollssiffror.wordpress.com, but since we started our consultancy I haven´t been posting very much. I´m more active on Twitter, @fotbollssiffror

What are you looking to get out of this site? Ideas and a place to further develop my own thinking. I come from a career in professional poker and forums were a huge part of my learning process there, and I also made tons of friends that I originally met through forums so I see this not only as a chance to improve my work but also possibly make some friends with a shared interest in analytics!

Hey everyone! I’m Ty.

What sports and games do you follow? I work with a division I volleyball team - doing their statistics and video work - so that’s where most of my time/work goes. I also thoroughly enjoy the work being done in soccer.

What are you looking to learn or make? Seemingly like most people, I’m looking to learn R. I would love to bring better data visualization to my team, and help the coaches better understand some of the work I’m doing. Ideally, I’ll learn how to create radars in R - but I’m still at the very beginning of the program, so I may be some time off.

Do you have a blog or twitter with previous work? Eh, I guess. Technically my friend and I used to write at https://btbanalytics.com/, but I’m not sure most of the work is good. I guess that’s for you to decide. On twitter, I’m @semperty. I don’t post a ton of work, there - but I discuss with others fairly frequently.

What are you looking to get out of this site? I’m looking for a place to discuss some of my ideas about any/all sports. There are great niches on twitter, but that’s not a proper place for discussion (one can only get across so much information at 140 characters per post, and threads are only so valuable). Other than that, it seems like work is being done all over the place with no centralized area. I’m hoping this can become that - whether it’s via links elsewhere or via discussion here.

Hey all, I’m Aaron. I’m a software developer working primarily in C# and TypeScript, but I love to dabble in Python at work (doing some data analysis/viz) and in my spare time.

What sports and games do you follow? Hockey, hockey, and more hockey. And the Blue Jays.

What are you looking to learn or make? I’m not entirely sure yet. I’ve started (and stopped and re-started) writing an NHL data extraction tool in Python, mostly to help me learn asyncio and some Python 3 goodies, but hoping to make some sort of fun website with the data soon. I also love visualization, so something around that maybe?

Do you have a blog or twitter with previous work? I’m fairly active on the Twitters at @aaront, where you can often find me venting about the Senators’ internal budget, arena attendance, and putting Ceci-Phaneuf as a pairing with @BradT and the rest of #SensTwitter. I also post code on my github.

What are you looking to get out of this site? I love seeing what others are doing in data. As well, it seems to be a nicely tight-knit community. Also, I love to learn about data analysis in other sports, but it’s hard to break out of my hockey bubble on Twitter (for instance, today I learned that there was such a thing as volleyball analytics)

Hey guys, I’m Sam. Somehow I didn’t figure out that this existed until today, but now that I’m aware I’m eager to talk about stuff.

What sports and games do you follow?
I’m a big hockey fan, and my main focus is the NHL Draft. I love statistics, particularly in sports, so I’m kinda doing draft analytics and stuff right now, although all of it is pretty basic right now.

What are you looking to learn or make?
For the most part, I just want to immerse myself in the discussion. I like talking and seems like a solid place to do it. I’m always on the lookout for statistics I can apply to prospects (for example, I calculated a modified version of Game Score for some junior leagues last year), so I might find some stuff here. As far as math and stats go, I’m definitely an amateur, I’m pretty bad at math and most of my stuff is quite simple accordingly. Maybe i can learn a little here and start to scale things up in complexity. I’d also like to finally get started with R, which is something I’ve wanted to do but haven’t went ahead with yet.

Do you have a blog or twitter with previous work?
My Twitter is @DraftLook. I recently began to write for draftgeek.ca, where I have one article up and most of my new work will be posted, and my previous work before that, as well as some other stuff that doesn’t fit into the site at DraftGeek, can be found at thepuckauthority.com. I recently released my 2019 draft rankings, which have a very heavy statistical component to them, at thepuckauthority.com.

What are you looking to get out of this site?
I just want to observe, learn, and probably participate a bit, and hopefully become more well-versed in the area of sports analytics.